Getting off the Vacation Rental subject for a bit, I have been following the troubled "Big 3" automaker fiasco over the past month or so. (Just to go ahead and acknowledge the point, I for one, am for some sort of bail out for these automakers, but on very strict conditions) This whole thing is being so blown up by the media it really is steering many Americans thoughts on the subject down a path that they really don't understand. I am not saying the American people aren't smart or financially sophisticated enough to make an informed decision, but this problem is far more Macro-Economic than I or any average person can comprehend.
I think I saw a quote that the failure of these companies could effect upwards of 3 million jobs in America alone. How accurate that figure is, I don't know, but just the thought of it is unbelievable. Think about it, 3 million people suddenly over the course of 6 months to a year out of work. If you think our economy is bad now, just imagine that.
Now, I certainly think all the CEO's of these companies are absolute clowns, and should be fired on the spot, even it they do get the bail out, but I don't think hating big corporations who get into trouble is justification enough to make an informed economic decision just because "the people don't support it". There needs to be macro and micro financial analysis done and released to Congress (lord knows that don't have the slightest clue) and the rest of the policy makers to make this decision. I think chastising the idiot CEO's on asking for a bailout in the first place is plane nonsense and is just wasting every body's valuable time in a situation such as this.
Like most Americans, I don't care about the CEO's and Executives that got themselves into this mess in the first place, but I do care about the 2.9 Million other workers who will suffer because of the politicians trying to prove a point.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment