Monday, December 1, 2008

Offroad Outer Banks Adventures

The Outer Banks is one of those places that sometimes just doesn't seem real. There are so many places that I for one, take for granted. I guess because I live here full time and this is now my home, I am sometimes blinded to the sheer natural wonder of my surroundings. Take the 4x4 area, aptly named due to no paved rodes, north of Corolla. I recently saw a Hummer ad in a magazine (Men's Health I think) that featured the new H3 Hummers on the 4x4 beaches of the Outer Banks. You never think where you live would be worthy of a Hummer ad, who brands itself as one of the must rugged, adventurous brands out there, but if you sit back and gage the beauty and uniqueness of the 4x4 area of the Outer Banks, it measures up just fine.

After seeing this ad and taking a couple of day trips to the area, it really got me thinking. Why does it take a Hummer ad to entice me, a local, to notice this beautiful area. Also, why is there not a consistent Vacation Rental brand devoted to the large group that Vacation year after year in this area. Granted there are companies that have serviced the 4x4 area for quite some time and I guess it really wasn't necessary to separate this part of their inventory for marketing purposes. But if me, a local, really doesn't know or appreciate the 4x4 area, how can we expect the general vacationing public to?

Hopefully in the not to distant future you will see a company take the approach and give the 4x4 area the individualized attention it deserves, not only as a travel destination, but as a one of a kind, national landmark.

Who knows, 4x4Vacations could be coming soon.....




No comments: